© 2016 - 2020 Friends of the D.D. Collins House

The History of the D. D. Collins House

The Daniel Dove Collins House and adjacent Collins Park provide a beautiful entrance into Collinsville’s Uptown Business District.

Daniel Dove Collins

The first President of the Collinsville Village Board, built this Greek Revival architectural style house in 1845 at the corner of West Main and Center Streets.

As business grew in the 1890s, the house was moved to 621 West Main Street. In 2015 the house was relocated once again a half block to the west, at the corner of West Main and Combs Avenue.

Elizabeth Anderson Collins

The house was built circa 1845 by Daniel Dove Collins for his bride, Elizabeth Anderson Collins,

daughter of John Anderson, whose home was located in the vicinity of the Collinwood Subdivision and Anderson Pond.

As the story goes, when the flood waters receded from the great flood of 1845, a riverboat was left stranded; D.D. Collins salvaged the beam from the riverboat and used it to build his house.

Irving Dilliard

In 1998 the late Irving Dilliard purchased the house and donated it to the City of Collinsville. The house was in considerable disrepair at that time, and the

City’s Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) was given the task of the restoration of the house into a museum house and the preservation of lifestyle in Collinsville from 1845-1880. The HPC also had the D.D. Collins House placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Irving Dilliard

In 1998 the late Irving Dilliard purchased the house and donated it to the City of Collinsville. The house was in considerable disrepair at that time, and the

City’s Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) was given the task of the restoration of the house into a museum house and the preservation of lifestyle in Collinsville from 1845-1880. The HPC also had the D.D. Collins House placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Progress Through Time

Photo taken during restoration.

Today

The restoration of both the interior and exterior has been completed. Out buildings, including a drying shed, well and privy have been added; and work has begun on furnishing the house with period appropriate furniture and accessories.

Although the City funded its move and final restoration, over the years the HPC has applied for and been awarded several grants, including county, state and federal, to help with the restoration of the house. In addition, many private donations have been received, all of which have enabled the preservation of the museum house as well as the acquisition of period appropriate furnishings.

PASSIONATE PEOPLE:
Become Friends

Phone:  Call Lavadna at 618.420.0288           
Email:  artloft@charter.net